Saturday, January 20, 2007

Mmm...nostalgia...


I recently encountered this article about fry sauce, and its burgeoning popularity outside of Utah. I grew up in Utah, but it never occurred to me that fry sauce was one of those (many) things that were unique to our state. I was first introduced to fry sauce in my formative years, when my dad used to mix the stuff up to go with our tater tots. Our homemade fry sauce was light pink and somewhat lumpy, while restaurant fry sauce (which I've never liked) typically has a higher ketchup to mayo ratio and is completely smooth. I don't eat tater tots much anymore, and I don't even like mayonaisse, but there is something sweetly nostalgic about eating a lumpy bowl of tater tots with a lumpy bowl of fry sauce. It makes me feel five years old again. I recently mixed up a batch and offered some to my toddler, whose diet consists almost entirely of bread and condiments. She immediately scrunched up her face and said "Yucky, mama!" Must be an acquired taste.

No comments: