Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Bookmobile

I'm working on a more serious, more lengthy post, but until I get that together here's a quick book recommendation: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. I read a glowing review of this book on a Harry Potter forum, of all places, and decided to check it out. I think it's the best new book I've read this year. On the surface, it's a book about a 15-year old autistic boy who is trying to figure out who killed his neighbor's dog. Of course, like all good books, there is much more to it than this. It's a quick and thought-provoking read: subtly funny, poignant, and devastating all at once. If you have a good head for math and numbers you'll enjoy it even more, as the book is packed with impossible math puzzles (but you don't have to understand them to read the book). As for me, I am becoming increasingly interested in the way human language develops (with a talkative two-year-old in the house, it's hard not to be) and this book brings up many interesting questions about the ways we learn to communicate with each other and the assumptions that we make.

No comments: