Thursday, September 27, 2007

Beauty and Crime

Whew! It's been a busy summer. I just watched my baby brother get married (congrats, K & L!) and I am feeling very, very old.

It's been a good summer for music, though. I was able to attend two great shows: Crowded House and Toad the Wet Sprocket. Plus, I finally got my hands on Suzanne Vega's new album, Beauty and Crime. It's as fantastic as I hoped it would be.

You may remember Suzanne Vega from of the oft-remixed Tom's Diner (you can listen to a snippet of this and many of her other songs at her website). Her new album is slightly more pop-y and less folksy than I expected, but in the best possible way. My favorite song is the first one, Zephyr & I, followed closely by Edith Wharton's Figurines. I also just learned from Wiki that Vega has the same birthday (different year) and same degree (English Lit.) as me. Love her!

I'm also really enjoying The Underdog (as far as I can tell, the song has no connection to the crappy Jason Lee Underdog movie which I've expressed my disgust for previously) by Spoon. I just can't resist a band with a good horn section.


(And that, of course, is a runcible spoon)

1 comment:

Krystal Mae said...

I like your posts- they're short and sweet, and sassy and entertaining and educational and inspirational and beautiful and clever. My sister is the coolest, I hope I can aspire to your blog writing greatness someday. Just for the record, I did post something for blog action day..When are you going to post again? I'm ready to be back in the cyberworld with you! I miss your posts...