Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Do you really need that Thneed?

So I wanted to post something about the environment for Blog Action Day. Which was yesterday. D'oh!

But I didn't forget...I actually spent a lot of time thinking about the topic and rejected several preliminary drafts. I just came to the conclusion that I didn't have anything new to say about global warming, having already posted about it here (check out the comments on that post for some super suggestions from my sis). The Blog Action topic was not global warming, of course, so I could have just as easily posted a stunning photo-essay about the awe-inspiring National Parks I grew up visiting: Capital Reef, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Yosemite...

But I didn't. I got stuck on the global warming theme, and I ran out of time and I ran out of inspiration. One thing that I kept thinking about was this quote from Dr. Seuss's The Lorax (my earliest foray into environmentalism):

UNLESS someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better.
It's not.

This morning, I started to feel a little more optimistic. Because now, finally, a whole bunch of people DO care a whole awful lot. Global warming has been THE hot issue this year, and awareness seems to be greater than it's ever been. Al Gore(and some other people) just won the Nobel Peace Prize!

The thing I enjoyed most about An Inconvenient Truth was that it wasn't all doom and gloom: it offered actual solutions that regular people could integrate into their lives, without spending tons of money. Humans may have caused the current global warming crisis, but we can fix it, and I feel like we are making some progress.

And now, some more links! Stuff I've enjoyed reading and looking at lately, by people much smarter and more literate than me...

My sister knows a lot about taking care of the Earth
And she didn't miss Blog Action Day like I did

Carbon-negative fuel? Inconceivable!

Eric3000 on Solar Power
And on Carbon Footprints

Kora in Hell on Live Earth

No Impact Man

EPA Environmental Kid's Club

Tiny Houses

Chris Jordan's Trash Art

No comments: