Wednesday, July 18, 2007

And now for a word I don't like...

from dictionary.com:
kill-joy [kil-joi]

–noun
a person who spoils the joy or pleasure of others; spoilsport.

(for other synonyms, see buzzkill, party pooper, marplot, wet blanket, depreciator, and stupidhead)

I am referring, of course, to the people who have allegedly obtained early copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and have posted plot details, the ending, and in some cases scans of the entire novel, online.

Come on, people. You have to be the first one in the world to have a copy of the seventh Harry Potter book, I get that. Somebody always has to be the first. But why ruin it for everybody else?

I'm pleased the see that Scholastic (the US publisher of the Harry Potter books) is already pursuing legal action against the people who have posted supposed scans of the book online, and against an online distributor that accidentally (or accidentally-on-purpose) shipped the books out early. Some of the text that appears on the Web seems to be an elaborate hoax, as a spokeperson for Scholastic has said that "she was aware of at least three different versions of the file 'that look very convincing' with what she described as 'conflicting content.'"

I'm particularly disappointed with the New York Times which, after reporting several stories about the alleged book leak, apparently obtained their own copy and posted a review of the book online. Today. Three days before the official release. I haven't read the review, and won't post the link here, but it is supposed to contain many spoilers. Even the brief teaser I glimpsed on the main New York Times home page was more than I wanted to know.

This is ridiculous, unprofessional, and showcases the very worst in human nature. Seriously, guys. Christmas is only a few days away, don't tell me what my presents are. Just give me a chance to open them, okay? Please?

(Disclaimer: the links in this post link to articles about spoilers, never to the spoilers themselves. Also, in spite of the bitter tone of this post, I have not yet read anything that I consider a legitimate spoiler, and I hope I can keep in that way until Saturday.)

2 comments:

Megs said...

"Families are imposing news blackouts in their homes, and queues began to form outside bookstores as early as Wednesday."

(I actually discussed a news blackout last night with some friends over dinner.)

"In Britain, a phone counseling service for children expects a surge in calls when readers learn who is killed off."
Seems things are going to be intense and the Brits are taking that seriously.

quotes from: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/arts/entertainment-arts-potter.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Anonymous said...

I' m currently blogging for a (poor) living for someone else... but I like it. You' ve inspired me to keep doing it, and look to doing it for myself soon